Please note: this article is only applicable to websites built after November 2018.
This article will show you how to use widgets in the layout of your website. The available widgets include many frequently requested tools such as:
- Text boxes
- Friends & Family Test
- Facebook & Twitter feeds
- CQC status & report
- Newsletter sign-up
- Table of opening times
- YouTube video embedding
In this article:
- Dos and Don’ts
- Common Problems/Mistakes
- Common Questions/FAQs
- Related Articles/See Also
- You may like to consider planning your preferred layout before you start adding elements to save yourself time.
- You can between 1 and 3 widgets to each row.
- To add a widget to a row click the + icon in the grey bar to the left of the row and select Add Widget.
- A selection window will appear to the left of the screen. From here choose which widget you would like to add.
Editing a Widget
- Hover your mouse over the widget you wish to edit and click the “EDIT” link that appears in the top left hand corner of that widget.
- A window will appear containing the available properties for the selected widget. These will vary depending on the selected widget. More information can be found about using each widget here.
- You can give the widget a title if you wish and add other information such as: an icon, text and image, a link.
- If you are adding text use the toolbar on the top of the editing space to format your text and set headers.
- If you are adding an image click Select Image. The image picker will appear and you can either upload an image to use or choose one from the library.
- Tick the “Make this widget visible?” checkbox to ensure that the widget is actually shown on your website.
- Click Save to apply your chosen settings to the widget.
Reorder your widgets
- In the grey bar to the left of the row you wish to re-order click the lines icon, Reorder widgets in this row.
- A window will appear to the left which gives a display of the widgets in that row.
- Click on the widget you wish to move holding the mouse button down and move it to the required location. Release the mouse button.
- Click the Save Changes button to save the new widget order.
Remove a widget
- Hover your mouse over the widget you wish to delete and click the “EDIT” link that appears in the top left hand corner of that widget.
- A window will appear containing the available properties for the selected widget.
- At the bottom of the widget properties window click the Delete button.
- You will be asked “Are you sure you want to delete this widget?”. Click Yes.
Dos and Don’ts
- Add an Information widget containing concise welcome text in the top row for best search engine optimisation.
- If you delete a widget you will not be able to recover the content it contained, you can only add a new widget and re-add the information so if you think you may want to reinstate the widget at a later date untick the “Make this widget visible?” checkbox instead. This will hide it from viewers. Alternatively you may wish to copy the content on to your computer for later use.
My widget is not showing when I leave the editor.
Make sure that the “Make this widget visible?” checkbox is ticked in the properties for that widget.
My widget is set as not visible but I can’t add another in it’s place.
Regardless of visibility you can have a maximum of 3 widgets per row. If you need to add something in place of the hidden widget you will need to remove the hidden one. You may like to copy the content to a hidden widget in another row or to your computer for later use.
Can I temporarily remove a widget?
Yes, you can open the properties for a widget and untick the “Make this widget visible?” checkbox. This will prevent it from showing on the page for viewers until such time as you re-enable it. You can still edit it whilst it’s hidden from viewers.
Related links/See Also
widget, layout, structure, design