Please note: this article is only applicable to websites built after November 2018.
This article looks at how to find your way around the website editor. The new version of MSW2 works in a completely different way... primarily using rows and widgets. While this concept will likely differ from other systems you have used (including the original MSW sites) it is an extremely flexible way of arranging content on your site. This article will introduce the concept and link through to more detailed information on each subject.
In this article:
- Dos and Don’ts
- Common Problems/Mistakes
- Common Questions/FAQs
- Related Articles/See Also
This article is applicable to finding when your way around the website editing tools after you have logged in to the editor.
Items on the page you are on
Once you have logged in your page will reload in edit mode.
- In the top left you will find a double arrow >> click to open the main menu
- Row Controls - add widgets, edit row, delete row
- This is a widget. You will now find that if you hover the mouse over the widget a dotted line appears around it with a black rectangle in one corner. The black rectangle contains the name of the element and an “EDIT” link. Click the “EDIT” link to alter the detail or properties of the selected item. A small window will appear in which you can change it. This also applies to an element on the page, such as the logo, menu, a text box or another feature.
- Use REORDER ROWS to change the order in which the rows appear.
(There is a dedicated help article for each of the elements).
To close the editing window of an element click either the Save or Cancel button.
Other editable elements
- To access other website tools and styling features click the small grey arrow button found in the top left hand corner. A side menu will appear.
- You will see 5 colour-coded sections here that allow you to: alter website settings and online prescriptions settings; create, manage and remove pages and set your home page; manage menus; manage files held on your website; and change and customise the template your website uses.
To close the editing side panel simply click the small grey arrow at the top of the page again.
Dos and Don’ts
If you change something and you're not happy with it or aren’t sure how to reverse it just don’t click the Save button. Click Cancel instead and the element will revert back to how it was before you edited that element.
I can’t get back to the main editing menu.
Click the small, blue back arrow in the top left hand corner of the editing side panel.
I’ve made a change but it’s not appearing on my page.
Make sure that you’ve clicked the Save button. You may have to scroll down to find this.
Once changes to an element have been saved are they live on my website or do I need to publish the page?
Changes are live as soon as you click save so it’s a good idea to plan your changes before implementing them.
Related links/See Also
edit, editor, content, tools, features